Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Scarlet Ibis

Hi,
I would like to share about my thoughts about the discussion my class had about The Scarlet Ibis. I learned a lot of new perspectives from the discussion and engaged in activities to help me understand the story better. Through class discussion, I learned that the scarlet ibis was a symbol that represented people like Doodle. The ibis was rare in the part of the USA that the narrator found it in, just like how Doodle was rare in his family because of his invalidity. I also understood the paradox of the narrator loving and being cruel to his brother at the same time. As brought up by one of my classmates, there is a side of love, which is pursuing of power. The lust for power over the other person makes us cruel to the other party, although we treasure them in our hearts. I have to admit that this happens to me and my family members and friends. I also completed a worksheet about the narrator's feelings of Doodle at different stages of the latter's life. We went through the worksheet by acting out the scenes in each stage. However, I felt that this activity was unable to grasp all of our attention as we were not involved in all parts of the discussion. Through the activity, I still managed to learn that the central relationship described in the story was of Doodle and his brother. They began to grow closer to each other as the other characters gradually faded away. After reading this touching story, I understood the concept of love and cruelty. I feel that I should accept others' differences and not push them beyond their limit.


Loo Nathanael (18) 1I1

1 comment:

  1. Nathanael

    Doodle was invalid, but then, the fact is that the narrator was more or less a coward that could not face up to the very fact that he cannot complete Doodle's 'training' in time for when Doodle starts school, so he went and vigorously trained Doodle. During the storm, the narrator abandoned Doodle and ran on ahead, because he could not face the fact that he failed. Ultimately though, his goal was to have a brother which he can play and compete with. But the frustration of having an invalid one that would probably never be able to play tortured him day and night. He was in a sense, embarrassed, all by his own pride.

    Alex (17)

    ReplyDelete