Saturday, February 27, 2010

Current Affairs Mock Session

Hi,
I would like to reflect on the current affairs mock session that we had on Friday. The topic discussed was "What makes a Singaporean?". There were 8 students in the inner circle, another 8 in the outer circle, while the remaining 9 were the audience. I was one of the audience so my job was just to listen to the discussion. I felt quite grateful that I was one of the audience as I could see that the people in the inner circle were certainly struggling with the session, as most of them seemed unprepared. Thus, I took the opportunity to learn from their mistakes so that I can perform better the next time it comes to my turn. The main topic discussed was on the government's impact on national identity, which I thought was irrelevant. As I listened on to the discussion, there were some points that I disagreed with. For example, one of the pupils said that the national monuments are what makes us Singaporeans. I totally refute this point as Singaporeans cannot and should not be compared to structures but instead to values and attitudes. Overall, the seminar influenced me that national identity is very important as it concerns our pride as a country. I hope to learn from this mock session and contribute when the floor is open, which I failed to do in this seminar.


Nathanael (18) 1I1

No comments:

Post a Comment